Friday, May 31, 2013

Day 11: Painting

The back has a lot of very small detailed pieces.  My husband spent the day cutting bits out and I spent the day spray painting them.

I feel I have come to have an intimate relationship after hours of spray painting, and I have found that not all spray paints are created equal!!!  The Rustoleum Painters Touch Ultra Cover 2x really is better!  For some pieces I had to switch to the Krylon because they had the color purple I liked, the color coverage with the Krylon is not as good, and I need to do multiple coats to get a soild color.  That wouldn't be such a big deal if the Krylon also didn't take twice as long to dry!  So all in all it took much longer to paint with the Krylon than with the Rustoleum.  The Valspar can I have is a little older than the other two, so that may account for some of it's annoyances, but overall it did not paint as evenly and also needed extra coats.  Since it didn't paint as evenly, most of it would be dry except spots where there was extra glops of paint.  So all in all I REALLY liked the Rustoleum, it really does coat twice as well, and I liked that it dried faster.  I bought my Rustoleum at Home Depot, where as the Krylon was from Michaels Arts & Crafts, so maybe that is why there is such a difference since one is just for "hobbies" and the other store is for serious around the house projects???
The very small pieces are difficult to paint because they don't weigh much, and the spray paint literally blows them away if you are not careful.  I found the best thing to do was aim straight down at them, get a good layer of paint going.  The excess paint actually caused them to stick to cardboard I was painting them on.  Once they were stuck, this allowed me to go in from the side and get the edges.  All and all I am very pleased with how the painting is coming along!


No comments:

Post a Comment